Criteria for Inclusion on The Honor Roll
This is the GCVM criteria which must be met in order for a casualty to be included on the Memorial Fountain and in this "Living Memorial".
1) Area of Conflict
Regardless of cause the casualty must have occurred in a war zone or the death must be a direct result of wounds received in the area of conflict. There shall be no limitation of time between date of wound and date of death providing the death was directly related to the wounds received. Service in the U.S. Military, or that of an allied nation is required. The following theaters will be considered the official area of conflict:
- Spanish American/Philippines War - the casualty must have occurred in Cuba, the Philippines or Puerto Rico
- World War I - European theater - the casualty must have an American Expeditionary Forces (AEF) date assigned
- World War II - Those casualties found who are not presently on the Memorial Fountain must comply with the established criteria and must have occurred in either the European or Pacific theaters
- Korea - the casualty must have occurred in Korea - (only exceptions are those whose names are presently on the Memorial)
- Vietnam - the casualty must have occurred in South East Asia which will include North or South Vietnam, Cambodia, China, Laos or Thailand
- Iraq and Afghanistan - the casualty must have occurred enroute to the war zones, in the Iraq or Afghanistan theaters of operation, or adjacent thereto so long as the casualty is related to the ongoing war.
- All those casualties born and raised in Cuyahoga county will be included on the Memorial
- All those who lived (or worked) in Cuyahoga county 3 or more years prior to entering military service will be included on the Memorial
- All those whose residency was less than 3 years but their family remained in Cuyahoga county after the casualty entered the service will be included on the Memorial
- All those who were not born in Cuyahoga county but attended schools in the county prior to service, shall be included on the Memorial
- All those who were born in Cuyahoga county and moved away but whose remains were returned to Cuyahoga county for burial will be included on the Memorial
- Subsequent requests from family, friends, or comrades-at-arms asking to have someone be included on the Memorial must have supporting data in writing; all such requests will be reviewed by the GCVM executive committee
- Non-military casualties, which occurred in the war zones, may also be memorialized in the "Living Memorial"